Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I know what's wrong with the world...

... it's that 90-someodd percent uses PCs. All I wanted to do was move the computer we use to check out and check in books from one side of the desk to the other. We have one of them desks what's especially designed for computers and has the little holes for the cables, etc. So I start disconnecting cables, and I keep disconnecting cables, and I disconnect some more cables, and even more cables. And then I disconnect some cables, and some more cables.



You get the idea.



It took about 45 minutes and after it was all over, I had stuff left over. Everything worked as far as I could tell. But I don't look forwad to moving the other three or four computers I want to relocate.



Here are a few questions I came up with while moving the computer.



1. Why in the hell do you have to have more than two cables for the monitor - power cable and cable connecting the monitor to the CPU? What do the extra 10 or 20 cables you have to hook into the back of the PC do?



2. What's wrong with having a mouse that simply connects to the keyboard? Why do you have to run another cable into the back of the PC? And why, if you've got a PC chock full of USB ports, don't you USE THEM!? Hook a damn keyboard into them.



3. Speaking of USB, why do the same peripherials I simply plug into the USB port on my eMac have to have an external power cord if they are plugged into a PC? This may not be par for the course, but I find it odd.



4. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with Windoze, but why, oh, why is it so hard to get one hooked up to the Internet or to network with another computer? I'm not trying to hack the Pentagon's secret war plans for the invasion of Canada, I just want to move the library hours document from one computer to another.



My PC experience causes me to come home every day and stare lovingly at my Macs, write them love poetry and plan romantic dinners with them.



I'm just saying.....

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home