Thursday, August 28, 2003

An open letter to Gov. Ronnie Musgrove
The following is a letter I sent to Gov. Ronnie Musgrove yesterday after hearing of his offer to Alabama Judge Roy Moore display the embattled 10 Commandments monument in the Mississippi State Capitol.

To Governor Ronnie Musgrove:

During the past several months, I have struggled with my decision to support your candidacy for re-election to the governor's office. While I strongly supported your successful run four years ago, decisions and statement you have made during your term in office, especially regarding the "In God We Trust" posters placed in Mississippi's public schools, have cooled me toward your candidacy. I am a strong supporter of the separation between church and state and feel that such an action is detrimental to our religious freedom in this country.

Since that time, I have had the chance to hear you speak and debate against other opponents, including Haley Barbour. During those debates, I once again was impressed by the way you defended your record and by your own personable style. You seem to be a very friendly, likable person, and that, in today's political world, is impressive.

However, this afternoon, I received a copy of the letter you sent to Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore concerning the embattled Ten Commandments monument. I must say that I am so disappointed in the offer you made concerning the monument that I am reconsidering my support of you in this November's General Election.

This monument has no place in a government building. It's one purpose is to proselytize and promote the views of one segment of this country's religious population. This monument belongs on sacred ground and it’s words in the hearts and minds of those who believe, not in government buildings in Alabama, Mississippi or any other state in the great country.

I understand that your own religious beliefs are an important factor in your life. So are mine, though they differ from yours. I ask you to consider those in this Great State of Mississippi who do not hold the same beliefs. We vote. We pay taxes. In my case, I have chosen to stay in Mississippi when I could easily leave the state and have a much more financially rewarding career. But this is my home and I want to work to make it a model in every way for the rest of the world.

My options in this November's election are these: Don't vote for a gubernatorial candidate; vote for write-in or third party candidate (which is the same as not voting at all); or vote for a candidate who has continued to promote his religious beliefs as those of all Mississippians. Voting for Haley Barbour is not an option because I believe he would be a destructive and divisive force in Mississippi politics.

Governor Musgrove, there are more people in Mississippi who feel like I do than you might think. Many of them hold the same religious beliefs as you. I hope you hear from more of them and I hope my letter, and any others you might receive agreeing with my point of view, will help you to better understand why your letter to Judge Moore was offensive and divisive to the people of this state.

I wish you luck in your re-election campaign, though this is one voter who cannot, in good conscience, vote for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home