Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Un-Christmasing

I'm one of those people who, once Christmas is over, I like to have all reminders of the holiday down and put away as soon as possible. The "holiday cheer" has never really lasted too much beyond 3 or 4 p.m. on Christmas afternoon and is definitely gone by the time you have to go back to work.

The thing is, when you put up the decorations, there is all kind of festive holiday music to listen to. There are the traditional Christmas shows on TV you can have going on in the background (at least most years, refer to my earlier blog entry on that subject.) There's milk and cookies and the warmth of the roaring fire coming from the natural gas heater you have because it's much more energy efficient than the fireplace.

But what about when you take down the decorations. There should be something special for that too. After all, it's much more of a pain in the ass to take them down than to put them up. If for no other reason than everyone enjoys putting them up, but no one enjoys taking them down.

Maybe someone needs t come up with an album of post-Christmas music, designed especially for the days after that will help make the un-Christmasing time go much better. While I do love writing songs and making music, I fear I am not really up to the task due to my extreme laziness. But, I do have some suggestions for song ideas.

"Christmas time is over and all I have to say/is let's go out to Wal-Mart and spend out gift cards today"

or, "As this day comes to an end/I kneel down, my knees I bend/and I give thanks through this song/that the relatives are finally gone."

and of course "Take down the Christmas lights/before the neighbors laugh at us/take down the Christmas tree/I really don't want to have to fuss...."

And, yeah, I still have some of my decorations up, but they are slowly making their way into the closet and my tree will soon be planted in the back yard. But, like I said before, I'm lazy, so it may take me a while.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home