Friday, January 13, 2006

A Picture is Now Worth 1,024 Bytes

Nikon, who in my opinion made the best film cameras for newspaper work, is all but getting completely out of the film camera business. Not a big surprise. The switch from film to digital has been a long time coming for a number of reasons, including increasing cost of buying and disposing of the toxic chemicals needed to process film, the increased quality of digital cameras, and the ease and speed at which a digital image can be printed. Increasingly, you're seeing the film media left to a shrinking handful of professionals. It will only be a matter of time before you see the chain store film developers completely replaced by the digital print kiosks.

On a related note, the announcement from Nikon has made me decide to keep my old FM-2 that I used so many years in the newspaper business. One day, I'll put it next to my old manual typewriter as a monument to the past.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home