Tuesday, December 20, 2005

WHAT! I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Surprise, surprise. Apparently, listening to loud music on your iPod and using your earbuds can cause hearing problems.

Duh!

It's not a new problem, even though the design of the earbuds does seem to make it a little worse.

My problem with the earbuds, however, is more that they are uncomfortable. They don't fit well and begin to irratate my ears after a while. It's a physical thing, not a sound thing.

I started using studio headphones for my iPod long ago. I figured if I have an expensive pair of earphones designed for quality sound and comfort, why not use them. It's not like I listen to my iPod anywhere where a pair of large, black earphones would look out of place. Mostly, however, I use the iPod in my vehicle using either an iTrip or a cassette adapter.

Back to the origonal concern about damaging hearing, anytime you listen to loud music, or loud anything for that matter, it can and will damage your hearing. I know I already have some hearing loss from my years of standing in front of a stack of guitar amps and PA speakers as well as attending very, very, loud concerts. But, compared to the volume and the amount of time younger people today are listening to loud music, especially in the most destructive frequencies, my experiences were nothing.

Let me just put it this way: I plan on investing money in the stock of companies that make hearing aids. In 10 years or so, it'll make me a lot of money.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home