Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Here's why The Fantastic Four pissed me off!



It didn't really, but I'm trying to establish a theme here.

I actually went to TFF expecting a really crappy movie. Pretty much everything I read and everyone I've talked too told me to expect that. But guess what, it wasn't that bad. It was, in fact, okay. Now the dysfunctional foursome have always been my favorite superhero team, so I might be cutting the movie a little slack, but despite being a little slow at times, I enjoyed it. While it was not as well done as either of the X-Men movies, it was waaaaay better than any other recent comic book super hero movie adaptations. (Hear that, Spiderman!)

However, to be fair, this has nothing to do with the script, the director or the special effects. It has to do with the casting. Or at least the casting of three of the characters - Mr. Fantastic, Ben Grimm and Victor Von Doom. Iaoannoan Gruffururddrud, or whatever his name is, Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon carry the movie. They more than make up for the vacant (but very attractive) stares of Jessica Alba or from whatever that other guy playing Johnny Storm did. The plot was the typical "establishing the superpowerdom" plot, basically as revealed in Issue #1, and probably re-tolled in Issue #500-something to bring it up to date.

I know there were complaints of not enough action, but the FF was as much a soap opera as it was action. I'm sure the inevitable sequel will have plenty of action. (I'm hoping for Galactus. Be a great way to get the Silver Surfer on the screen.)

One thing I hope for. When they get ready to release the DVD, they need to do a special edition with the 1994 movie as an extra. Never seen it, but if it's near as bad as I've heard, I've GOT to see it.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home