Monday, August 29, 2005

The Wrath of Katrina

As I type this, the wind outside sounds like a low, continuous roar punctuated by the occasional loud rushing sound. The wind is whistling through cracks around the windows, which rattle with the larger gusts. We are getting wind speeds half or less of those on the coast and further south. When I stick my head out the door on occasion, the sight of the large trees in our neighborhood whipping back and forth is very eerie. As of the last report, there are at least 54 people dead in Mississippi and the search has barely gotten underway. There are entire sections of the coastal area that are still inaccessible. No one knows what has happened or what's left. Right now, we are probably near the peak intensity where the wind is concerned. AS we move toward morning, and then on into Tuesday, the conditions will continue to improve. So far so good. Wind, rain, no major damage around here. No large limbs down. (My mailbox fell over, but that's no biggie.) And we've still got power so nerves have been soothed by killing zombies this evening. Tomorrow, as the images and news begins to come from the coast, will probably be a rough day for Mississippi. As I said in my previous post, I am awed by the power of Mother Nature and this has just reinforced what my father always told me: You don't mess with the weather. You don't take it for granted. You don't underestimate it. If you do, it could be the last thing you do.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home