Monday, June 07, 2004

Making the move, Part 1
Even though I have been slowly getting ready for a move for the past several months, I really hadn't done much more than thrown some things in some boxes. This past weekend, we did our first real moving. We packed as much stuff as we could into the back of the truck and the car and hauled it to the Valley. This week, while Rebecca finished cleaning and painting our new house, it's my job to try and get as much stuff ready as possible. This afternoon, I decided to tackle the bookshelves. For most people, packing up and moving books is not a big deal. If they have any books (I know several people who, other than cooks books and some magazines don't have a single book in the house), a box or two is enough to take care of the problem. Rebecca and I, on the other hand, have greatly added to our already substantial collection during our past eight years in this house. In addition, about four years ago, I bought out the used book collection from a junk store here in town that was going out of business. By the time I finished loading up the books, the bed of my truck was level full and the front seat was piled full, save a little room for me to drive. If I had the time, I'd go through all these books and get rid of anything I was sure there wasn't even a remote possibility I'd read or need at some point. But that takes some time and effort, and, after all, I might some day have a need for a 1957 guide to selling upholstery.

I think what I will finally end up doing is gathering the vast majority of the collection in one room and making a special trip to load them up and haul them either to the new house or to one of the storage buildings my mother has at her home next door. In the meantime, I have several more shelves to unload.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home