Thursday, June 03, 2004

Tuesdays will simply be Tuesdays
Some big news on the homefront. In two weeks, Tuesdays will simply be another day of the week and not press day for the first time in the past 11 years for yours truly. Today, I accepted a job as the new Director of the Blackmur Memorial Library in my hometown of Water Valley. This will end my 17-year run in the newspaper business, the past 11 here in Monroe County. I will miss it, but I look forward to having a job with regular, reasonable hours, no long night time meetings or ballgames and no weekly deadline pressure. But most of all, I am glad to have the opportunity to be on the same side of the state with Rebecca on a full-time basis. This past year was a tough one with her in law school at Ole Miss and me two hours away in Aberdeen.

We already have a place to live in the Valley. It still needs some work, but it's a nice small house with nice low ceilings. It will be a nice change from the 12-foot ceiling monstrosity we have now. (BTW, anyone want to buy a house cheap?) For years, I had issues about ever returning to my home town, but in the past few years, the prospect has grown more and more attractive. I don't know if I'll want to stay there forever. I might. I don't know if I'll ever want to get back into the newspaper business. I might, especially if a nice small weekly paper came up for sale some years down the road. But for now, I'm looking forward to the change.

My last day here at the Monroe County newspapers will be Friday, June 18 and I will start my new job around the first week of July. I will probably be moved to the Valley soon after the 18th. It just depends on how much of the house Rebecca will have painted by then.

The job will take up a lot less time than being the ME for two weekly newspapers. I might even have time to update this blog more than once every two months. After all, there is a lot of bitching to do about Star Trek and Dubya (it's an election year people, and Enterprise, for good or for bad, has been renewed), and I could sure use more time to obsess on GarageBand. (BTW, anyone want a ME job?)

More to come on the change as it happens...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home