Wednesday, July 14, 2004

The Foot's Inside the Other Shoe Now

It was a weird experience earlier this week being the focus of an interview for the Water Valley newspaper. I've gotten to know the people who have taken over the paper and we talk we spend a lot of time talking shop. It's a good way to keep my toes in the water I guess. I'll be writing a weekly article for the paper telling about the goings on at the liberry, so I'll still have my presence felt in the journalistic world.



Working at the liberry has been great so far. It's a big change from the stress and deadline-drive atmosphere at the newspaper. Water Valley has a very nice facility for a town it's size and a pretty impressive collection, even though it's mostly popular fiction. (I plan to build up its small Sci-Fi section. Right now it's mostly Star Wars and Star Trek books people have donated.) We also have a pretty good collection of local and Mississippi history documents and books. There's a whole room devoted to local history and genealogy. It's pretty cool.



The nicest thing about it though is it's been more than a month since I have gotten up on Wednesday morning with a knot in my stomach, just waiting for the shit to hit the fan. You never knew, once the paper came out, if you were going to have a nice quiet day or if it was going to be a very long day. Right now, the library isn't even open on Wednesdays, so I don't even have to get out of bed or out from in front of the computer if I don't want to. And as hot as it has been do day, I've sat right here all day long.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home